IVANS Index Q1 2019 Results Released
April 09, 2019
Insurance industry premium renewal rate experiences increase across nearly all major commercial lines products
Tampa, FL – April 9, 2019 – IVANS, a division of Applied Systems, today announced the results for Q1 2019 IVANS Index, the insurance industry’s premium renewal rate index. Q1 results showed an increase in premium renewal rate change average across Commercial Auto, Business Owner’s Policy, Umbrella, and Commercial Property compared to Q4; however, General Liability renewal rate change experienced a decrease and Workers’ Compensation average premium renewal rate change dropped and remained in negative territory, consistent with the year-end 2018 results. Notably, Commercial Auto, BOP, Commercial Property and Umbrella experienced higher average premium renewal rate change from the quarter prior.
Premium renewal rate change by line of business for Q1 2019 highlights includes:
- Commercial Auto: Averaged 4.53% for the quarter, with a quarter high in February at 4.61%. February marked the Q1 premium renewal rate change high for both 2018 and 2019.
- BOP: First quarter averaged 4.19%, representing an increase over last quarter’s average of 4.00%. BOP premium renewal rate change finished the quarter at 4.39% in March.
- General Liability: Q1 decreased from Q4, averaging 1.67% change relative to 2.54%. The quarter premium renewal rate change reached its low of 1.16% in January.
- Commercial Property: Q1 increased to 4.24%, reaching a quarter high in February at 4.58%.
- Umbrella: Q1 averaged 2.54% versus 2.42% in Q4. Umbrella premium renewal rate change for the quarter reached its high in February at 3.06%.
- Workers’ Compensation: Average premium renewal rate change for the quarter reached -2.95%, down from Q4 average of -3.04%.
“Similar to the end of 2018, premium renewal rates experienced a continued increase compared to the year prior, with the exception of General Liability and Workers’ Compensation which experienced downward trends,” said Brian Wood, vice president of Data Products Group, IVANS Insurance. “As the only index that represents industry-wide transactions, IVANS Index empowers agents and insurers with data insights to inform their renewals conversations and support business decisions like pricing.”
Released on a monthly basis, IVANS Index is a data-driven report of current conditions and trends for premium rate renewal change of the most placed commercial lines of business in the insurance industry. Analyzing more than 120 million data transactions, the IVANS Index premium renewal rate change measures the premium difference year over year for a single consistent policy. Inclusive of more than 32,000 agencies and 400 insurers and MGAs, the IVANS Index is reflective of the premium rate change trends being experienced by all agencies and insurers across the U.S. insurance market. IVANS Index is available to agencies and insurers as part of Market Insights at markets.ivansinsurance.com.
# # #
IVANS, a division of Applied Systems, is the insurance industry’s exchange connecting insurers, MGAs, agencies, and the insured. IVANS cloud-based software automates the distribution and servicing of insurance products. For more than 30 years, IVANS innovation and expertise has connected 32,000 independent insurance agencies and 400 MGA and insurer partners to enable millions of people to safeguard and protect what matters most in people’s lives.